Possibly because my 4th of July has always been associated with the best vacation ever (my grandma's house on a lake in MO), it's one of my favorite holidays. I'm proud to be American, but as a nation I believe we lose sight of what this day means. This is the day we honor not only those who died to give us freedom, but the fact that we are free. I think that modern America forgets, or wants to, that we are also founded on faith. Today in church we sang the Star Spangled Banner. Virtually every American knows the first verse, but I was struck by the last verse and wanted to share it with you.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Amen, Mr. Key.
Melissa’s Story
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment