Saturday, December 31, 2011

Another 2011 Recap

It seems like all of my friends have done their year recaps already, so I thought I'd do mine.  First thing, my three goals.  I don't remember exactly which order they went in, but they were:

1) Move out of my parents' basement.

2) Submit something for publication.

3) Lose a pound a week for an average weight loss of 52 pounds.

As many of you probably know, I accomplished 2/3 this year, and that's not bad.  I didn't lose 52 pounds.  It went really, really well at the beginning of the year and in the first two months or so I lost 15 pounds.  Then in March I fell off the wagon and over the course of the summer gained most of it back.  Thanks to morning sickness, I'm down to about where I was again, but now that I'm in my second trimester, I'm pretty sure that will be changing.

Here are some of our monthly highlights:

January: In one month, I wrote about 98% a 75,000 word novel.  I've never been prouder of myself as the moment when I typed "The End."  Of course now I have plans to rewrite from the bottom up, but I think we can safely say that one's first full-length novel, no matter how bad, is an accomplishment!

February: Not much happened.

March: Still not too much going on.

April: Will and I decide that it's really time to move out.  He calls his old boss in Utah who says, "Sure you can have your job back."  We celebrate Easter and Joci's first birthday early because Will left Ohio a few days before both.  I spend the rest of the month packing, getting ready for a garage sale, and relying heavily on my parents for help with my kids.

May: After about three weeks which consisted entirely of packing, garage sale prep, and more relying on my parents to keep me sane, the girls and I boarded a flight to Utah.  Even though I thought Joci would be the problem, Chaela's handful of drop-to-the-floor, scream-her-head-off tantrums proved me wrong.  Thank goodness for kind fellow travelers.  When we finally arrived and I saw Will standing in the airport, I literally cried with relief.

June: We settle into life in Utah, reacquaint ourselves with the area, and reconnect with some great friends.  Thanks to the fact that most of our stuff is still in Ohio, we live a fairly spartan lifestyle, and for the first time in my life, I keep our apartment clean all the time.

July: Not too much goes on.  The girls and I head down to SF reservoir with Rosalie and hang out with her a lot.  She is a life saver while Will works those 10-14 hour summer days!

August: More hanging out.  I talk to some other women in my ward and we organize a Joy School (a small pre-school taught by the moms).  Had an INCREDIBLE girls' night/sleepover with some old friends from high school.

September: Chaela begins Joy School, which is her favorite thing in the world.  Pretty sure it was around the beginning of this month that Joci finally began to walk at 16 and 1/2 months old.  My parents brought out all of our stuff, and Kristin, Lindsay, Rosalie, and families all came out to help.

October:  This was the month I accomplished my goal to submit something for publication, which also earned me my first professional rejection letter, which I may frame.  At the end of the month, when I found out I was pregnant with baby #3!  For Halloween I made the girls some pirate costumes and we had a ton of fun trick or treating with Rosalie and her kids!

November: Chaela turned four, which she seems to think means she's an adult.  She had a fun little party with her friends and I had a fun little party with their moms.  Saw some of Will's family for a pre-Thanksgiving weekend, awesome!  For Thanksgiving itself  we visited my sisters and discovered that Kristin could, indeed, cook a turkey.  Also during this month, morning sickness ruins my life.

December: More dealing with morning sickness, but mostly preparing for the holidays.  We had a great Christmas and were thrilled to see family, not as thrilled to see them move out-of-state.

So that's pretty much year.  It's been fun, and I'm looking forward to the next one!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Its too bad you had to not only move out of your parents basement but also across the country :( maybe when I'm rich someday I can fly out there and visit you and your children.

Oh and I hope you have a boy this time, although I kinda think you'll have another girl lol

Katie said...

Ha ha don't worry your replacement for the basement arrived safely! Lol!
Now get that book published! Happy New Year!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.