Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's a Girl! Again!

Well, as Kristin pointed out in the comments of my last post, I definitely didn't update my blog "tomorrow."  Probably because, to be completely honest, I was dealing with a bit of disappointment.  I've said that if this baby was girl #3 we'd be done having kids but if the baby were a boy I'd be open to trying again to see if we could give him a brother (and we'd end up with three girls maximum anyway).  

My entire life I have expected to be the mother of both daughters and sons, or at least one of each.  If I had two boys, I would have hoped that baby #3 would be a girl.  I know that raising boys is different from raising girls, and I desperately wanted both experiences.  At the same time, I've always known that I am not meant to be the mother of a large number of children (my definition of "a large number" is  "more than four").

So when we got the ultrasound and found out that we were having our third girl, I didn't really want to talk about it.  I found that I was actually grieving for the son I will never have (barring accidents), which was weird, since he'd never existed in the first place.  At the same time, I have to emphasize that I was never sad about the baby herself.  I never questioned that I would love her, and I will never resent any of my girls for not being boys.  They are each their own person, and I love them for who they are.  I should also mention that Will thought I was silly for being sad about having three girls, since I get a lot of questions about it.  He's never cared about the gender of our kids, only that they're healthy.

Anyway, I just wanted to put that out there to explain why It's been such a long time since I've blogged.  Now, of course, I'm excited at the idea of another daughter and I can't wait to meet her.  Having three girls will be crazy and amazing!

-------------------------

On a related note: after much deliberation, HOURS combing through baby name websites, and nagging Will within an inch of his life, we've decided to name her Kairi Jordan (KYE-ree).  We're still trying to decide between Jordan and Jordyn.  Jordan is a family name, but Will thinks Jordyn is more feminine.  I agree, but I worry that since her first name is already going to be... difficult (I'm sure she'll go through life being called "Carrie") I wonder if we should mess with interesting spellings.  Also I worry that the "y" might make her seem a little... fluffy to people who read her name before they know her.  There's a poll up, so vote on which you like best!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I was honestly surprised that you were having another girl lol but think of it this way - you have two nephews and maybe more in the future to watch grow up! Kids have been a hot topic in my house recently, the desire to have or not have them and I really go back and forth.

To be honest, I would love to just have one and I would hope it was a girl. But then I think about dating, puberty and all that and second guess that decision lol.

Elyse said...

So I have to tell you that I was too a little upset that we were having a girl. And this is only the second. But I would always say that I wanted a girl because Ahlyssa would love a sister and a boy because Brian really wanted a boy. Well when they told us it was a girl, I got a little upset. And I think that I was wanting a girl but really hoping it was a boy. So I think that there is nothing wrong with the way you are/were feeling!
But how exciting! They will all be best friends and always be there for each other! Congrats!
P.S. Love the name ;)

Katie said...

I see no problem with raising three girls as mine turned out spectacularly wonderful! On the subject of the name I will throw in my 2 cents and you can take it or leave it. I would leave the spelling Jordan. It is a family name and that is how the family spells it. If you change it to Jordyn you are making it Jord"in" not Jord"an". There is a difference in pronunciation albeit a slight one.
That being said, she will be a beautiful sweet gift from God what ever her name may be and I will love her!

Caroline said...

Keep it Jordan: it's classic, and Kairi is sufficiently feminine I think. (Says the girl whose middle name is "Ainsworth.")

Gemarie said...

im excited to to meet my new niece!

MarfMom said...

I TOTALLY understand what you're talking about. I was pretty sure that J would be our last biological baby and Mark & I were really hoping for a girl. I wanted to see what a daughter of mine would look like...my grandmother, mom, and I all look so similar that I was *sure* she'd have my features. When the tech told us we were having another boy we were stunned and actually both of us grieved for about a week. We weren't grieving J, but the loss of not having a daughter. After that week, we got super excited about another boy. :)