Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hey! I can do this!

I will have the blogsphere know that tonight I exercised.  On purpose.

That's right, it was an event the world hadn't seen since 2009.  No joke, the last time I intentionally moved my body for no other reason than moving my body was to lose weight for my sister's wedding in August 2009.  Then I got pregnant with Joci and decided I wasn't one of those pregnant women who exercised, which was dumb.

Because, wow, I feel amazing right now.  Tomorrow I may not feel so amazing, but right now every muscle in my body is screaming, "YES!  I AM ALIIIIIIIVE!" in their best Dr. Frankenstein voices.  Tomorrow they'll probably just be screaming, but tonight they feel good!

What did I do that was so awesome?  An hour Zumba at my church.  Oh yeah!  You know what?  I really like to dance.  I think that's part of the reason  I feel so awesome right now, because dancing is fun.

I also went to the grocery store today and bought healthy things.  Not hippie-healthy things, like organic-locally-grown-whole-grain-no-carbon-footprint quinoa flour or whatever (not that quinoa is bad, someday I do want to try it), but a lot of produce.  I actually really like vegetables when they're cooked right, so instead of counting calories right now or going on some kind of official diet, I'm going to try eating more vegetables. Especially at lunch time, because that's when we all eat whatever, so it's not like I'm cooking a family meal I have to worry about anyone else liking.

Anyways, it felt good to exercise again.  I'm going to try to keep it up.  My husband and I are also doing this:


I got the idea from Pinterest.  Basically you have two clear containers and a bunch of those little filler stones for vases, one stone for each pound you want to lose.  You fill one container with the stones, and it's your "pounds to lose jar" and the one that starts out empty is your "pounds lost" jar.  As you lose weight you get to take stones from one jar and put them in the other.

I got this stuff at Hobby Lobby today for a total of $5.91 (shelves not included).  It was a two pound bag of stones (the black and white were mixed) and the smallest vases I could find (and you don't need bigger ones, there are 60 white stones in there).

Anyway for some bizarre reason I'm super pumped to move those rocks from one jar to the other, so as weird as it sounds I really think it's seriously going to help me stay on track.  I'm strange.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Woohoo we can blog together about our weight loss!!! Whatever you need for motivation is good and I've done the same thing with food, out with the junk in with the fruits and veggies!!

Heather Hansen said...

Whhhoooooottt!!! Go you!! P.S. There are lots of good (free!) zumba exercise videos on YouTube if you need a class but can't leave the house!

Julie DeMille said...

I've never tried Zumba, it looks so intimidating. Maybe I'll take Heather's advice and check them out on youtube. Heaven knows I don't need other people seeing me try to shake it.
I like the jar idea. Cute, too.