So I was in the shower this morning and all of the sudden, I knew.
It's time to start the second draft.
Mostly I'm posting this blog as a marker so I can see how long it takes me to do this. Unlike the first round, I'm not going to power through. I want to take my time and make it solid, so I'm interested to see how long it takes.
Here's my plan:
1. Read it and take notes without changing anything on the actual document, write down ideas for alternate scenes or ways a scene could happen.
2. Compile all of my notes and comments to myself as well as everything I've gotten from other people and organize them by chapter so I know exactly what needs to happen in each one.
3. Rewrite (possibly starting with the end, since it suffered from my being majorly burned out last time and I don't want that to happen again).
So that will be the second draft. I'm nervous, because doing this will bring me a solid step closer to needing to query agents and send this thing out into the world. I mean, that's the whole point, right? If I never submit it, I'll never have to hear a harsh professional opinion on my abilities as a writer, but I'll also never be published. Time to get over myself!
Melissa’s Story
6 years ago

3 comments:
You're so funny. I still can't place you with your nervousness of critiques. The two just don't fit together in my head, for some reason, which makes you that much more of a complicated and awesome person. So. Your steps seem solid and you should definitely keep us posted on how the process goes. As for pitching the novel when you're all done...puh-shaw. No worries. You got this, fo sho.
I agree with Deb, you've got this. If it were mine, I'd send it out now. But, I know that when you're done, it'll shine like the sun. Can't wait to read it then!
Good luck!
Post a Comment