Monday, June 27, 2011

Learning "L"

Anyone who has heard Chaela speak knows that she's pretty good.  She can say /s/ and /r/ and most /th/'s without a problem, but she's had issues with /l/.  Lately, however, I've noticed that she is consciously working on it.  It all started while she was watching "Pooh's Heffalump Movie" and started running around yelling "Yumpy, Yumpy!  La!  Lumpy! Yumpy!  La!  Lumpy!  LUMPY!" (fun times for my upstairs neighbors).

Anyway, she's been doing well, especially with word-initial /l/ (L's at the beginning of the word... yay linguistics jargon!  Use that degree!).  Recently she's even started picking up on the /l/ within words... except for her own name.  This was a conversation we had this evening:

[Conversation starts with Chaela exaggerating the L in a word I can't remember.]
Me: Wow!  You're getting really good at saying your L's!
Chaela: YEAH!
Me: So can you say Chaela?
Chaela: YEAH!  CHAYA!
Me: Ha ha, not quite.  Chay-LUH.  Llllll.  Luh!
Chaela: CHAYA!  I did it!
Me: Yeah, good job honey.  How about this, say Chay...
Chaela: Chay.
Me: Luh.
Chaela: Luh.
Me: Chay... luh.
Chaela: CHAYA!  I DID IT!  Chaya!  Chaya Kafrin HAIR!
Me: *sigh*
[five minutes later, to herself]
Chaela: Ha ha, Chay-LUH.  That's silly.
Me: *facepalm*

4 comments:

Katie said...

Haha she is smarter than you! You gotta love that girl! I miss her!

Amanda said...

LOL love it! She is a little spitfire!

Kristin said...

She cracks me up! Love it!

Gemarie said...

LOL Love her~!