Monday, March 2, 2009

Maybe, possibly trying something...

Well, I've been told by a few people to open a "shop" on Etsy, and I think I'm going to try it. My mom and I are going to have either a "Team" or just both sign in to the one account. Mom doesn't have much time to make stuff for it right now, but she does have quite a few things, like doll clothes and a few crocheted baby blankets, that are already done. I'll probably be the one who handles most of it, with mom helping out. We're just going to start with about 5-10 items and see if any of them sell. If they do, we'll expand. If not, at least we tried!
Right now it'll probably be small things like blankets, tied quilts, doll clothes, and possibly some baby clothes (which I like to design myself). We'll also take custom orders. After a while (IF we're successful) I'd like to start up a custom dress and costume design thing, either as a section of that shop or under a different name, since I don't think my "brand" name is marketable to men ("sweetie hearts").
So in the next few weeks, I may be asking some of you a favor... Etsy has these little widgets that you can post on your blog to advertise your shop. I'm pretty sure they can be posted in more than one place, so will you please leave a comment and let me know if you'd be willing to post one on your blog as well? That way, at least, I'll be out there a little more. I'll know for sure how they work once I actually open up the shop, which will be as soon as Will and I get our tax returns around this Friday.
Anyways, I feel kind of silly posting this. I have all these schemes in my head... I'm such a nerd.

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Caitlyn that's exciting! And also, no one told me Will had a job! Well, Lindsay did on Saturday but still... I'm really excited for you guys! I really hope all that works out! Love!

ohiolanges said...

Sign me up for the widget. Also, I have been thinking about you and Etsy and wondered about personalized snuggies. (those blankets with the arms in them) They were for sale on TV at Christmas time. They sold over a million of them and they were just plain. I am thinking OSU, BYU, floral, polka dots, etc. would sell well. The fleece comes in so many great designs. Surely it will be on sale sometime soon. . .

Just some thoughts. . .

Maya said...

Awesome! I don't really do the widget thing, but I will devote a post to your shop, and I'll post the link on my sidebar :-)

Elyse said...

yay! i'll def do that for you!!

Rosalie said...

I'll put a widget on my blog, no problem! That is a great idea. You and your mom are so creative and do a great job sewing. Around Halloween, you should make costumes like Chaela's or you could make princess dresses anytime for little girls!

BrookeJean said...

If you do it, our blog is in!

Goodluck!

Tiffany said...

So I would like to complain about getting introduced to this etsy website. I am absolutely addicted. I could spend hours a day shopping there! I know your crafty things would sell on there!! I can't wait to see your own little etsy shop. It's very exciting :)

P.S. I have one of my sisters addicted to the website too! LOL!

Mel said...

That's awesome! Congrats to Will on the job, too!

I would totally help you promote your shop on my blog, and if it's successful and you'd like me to, I can put in a good word with the founder of the Cool Mom Picks website as well. They promote neat stuff they find on the internet, much of which is sold in Etsy shops.

Dreams and schemes are awesome. I would love to have the chutzpah to start my own Etsy shop.

Justin Ferrell said...

I'll help out if I can