The Little Mermaid
This is the first "classic" I can remember. The music is still brilliant, but the story itself bothers me a little. As Lindsay put it, "I don't really like it that she blatantly disobeys her father, has a bad attitude, disobeys her father again, sells her soul to the devil, messes stuff up, and then gets what she wants because her dad just gives it to her." To that all I can add is the fact that she knows she loves a guy without even talking to him, then marries him at 16. Ok, I know a few of you are exceptions, so don't jump on me, but would most of us want to be married to the guy we dated when we were sixteen? A big fat no.
This is the first "classic" I can remember. The music is still brilliant, but the story itself bothers me a little. As Lindsay put it, "I don't really like it that she blatantly disobeys her father, has a bad attitude, disobeys her father again, sells her soul to the devil, messes stuff up, and then gets what she wants because her dad just gives it to her." To that all I can add is the fact that she knows she loves a guy without even talking to him, then marries him at 16. Ok, I know a few of you are exceptions, so don't jump on me, but would most of us want to be married to the guy we dated when we were sixteen? A big fat no.Mulan

Gorgeous. The music may not be as brilliant as "The Little Mermaid," but the cinematography went a long way in those eight or so years. Not only is it interesting to watch, but Mulan herself is, in my opinion, an excellent female role-model, something I have recently become deeply concerned with in the past two years. She is a strong woman, but she does what she does out of love for her family, not selfishness. I'm glad that this is Chaela's most-requested movie!
Aladdin
Still funny, thanks to Robin Williams. Good story, beautiful to watch, great music. The only problem I have is along the same lines as "The Little Mermaid;" a completely and utterly self-centered female lead character. Another nagging annoyance is the awful Western portrayal of Middle Eastern society. Let's be honest, (and I know it's Disney and whatever, but I just have to say this) if Jasmine and her situation were real, her father wouldn't even have thought about her before he found her a husband.
Still funny, thanks to Robin Williams. Good story, beautiful to watch, great music. The only problem I have is along the same lines as "The Little Mermaid;" a completely and utterly self-centered female lead character. Another nagging annoyance is the awful Western portrayal of Middle Eastern society. Let's be honest, (and I know it's Disney and whatever, but I just have to say this) if Jasmine and her situation were real, her father wouldn't even have thought about her before he found her a husband.The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
For a children's cartoon, this is genius. Ever since Barney, I've hated TV shows aimed at children. I think they're overly simplistic and downright stupid most of the time. Pooh goes back to when people didn't think kids were too dumb to hear words like "supercilious" and "confiscated," in context and not as a word of the day. It's very well animated, and it gives kids a little more to chew on mentally than Dora and Olie, thank goodness. I've had the opportunity to watch this movie probably a hundred times in the past three months, and instead of hating it more each time, I realize how great it is.
I have yet to watch movies like Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan, Hercules, Snow White, Cinderella etc. in the past few years, but hopefully soon. Sleeping Beauty is still pretty good. I'm so excited for the Princess and the Frog coming out at the end of this year; I think it's going to be a good one, and I'm glad Disney is making 2D movies again!
For a children's cartoon, this is genius. Ever since Barney, I've hated TV shows aimed at children. I think they're overly simplistic and downright stupid most of the time. Pooh goes back to when people didn't think kids were too dumb to hear words like "supercilious" and "confiscated," in context and not as a word of the day. It's very well animated, and it gives kids a little more to chew on mentally than Dora and Olie, thank goodness. I've had the opportunity to watch this movie probably a hundred times in the past three months, and instead of hating it more each time, I realize how great it is.I have yet to watch movies like Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan, Hercules, Snow White, Cinderella etc. in the past few years, but hopefully soon. Sleeping Beauty is still pretty good. I'm so excited for the Princess and the Frog coming out at the end of this year; I think it's going to be a good one, and I'm glad Disney is making 2D movies again!

9 comments:
I never really thought about the Little Mermaid like that, but you're right. Its odd watching kids movies when you get older, isn't it!? I bought The New Adventures of Pippy Longstocking last time and realized this is the most wack movie ever! I mean really, what kid gets washed ashore from a shipwreck and then lives alone in an abandoned house?!?! But its still entertaining I suppose!
Caitlyn, you are a brilliant writer. I love reading your blog because your ideas and opinions are well thought out and clear. I hope you make it in the world of freelance.
ITA with you. Mulan is my favorite. My father haaated Hercules because it was really racy...we saw it in the theatre on vacation and then were never allowed to see it again. I do love Beauty and the Beast for the same reason as Mulan: strong female lead...none of this "waiting for my prince to come and save me from my sad life because I can't save myself" stuff.
A good one I recommend but few know about is The Black Cauldron. I suggest that you wait another year perhaps because it can be a little scary with dark lords and witches. It has a strong female, sacrifice, loyalty, and friendship, though. Excellent movie!
I love Mulan! One of my favorite all time movies. And yes, a lot of the disney movies (esp. earlier ones) have to do with disobeying and then getting everything you want. I'm glad they've improved their story lines a little over the years.
I totally agree with you! Jacob and I talked about the Little Mermaid awhile ago and pretty much thought the same thing. He thought Dumbo was a little off as well. I still like those movies though.
I love watching movies from my childhood. I just watched Beauty and the Beast, and I couldn't stop laughing. There are so many funny lines I didn't remember!
Favor: please see my blog!
hmm maybe i'll try this experiment. i need a little innocence in my media life, although, i'm not sure i'll be able to think ill of Disney movies seeing as how they were my parents growing up, but maybe that's why i am so emotionally conflicted as a woman seeing as how Ariel and Mulan were some of my favorites...
Wow, couldn't have said it better myself. My Dad always hated Little Mermaid for this exact reason, and I totally agree. But others hold together well. I love Winnie the Pooh, and I'm glad someone else agrees. Another one I watched recently was the Sword and the Stone and it was WONDERFUL. Oh, and when are you coming to visit me? Soon?!?!?!?!
Post a Comment