Alright, I'm going to risk talking about something I don't completely understand, but I'm pretty darn sick of the circus that politics/the media are making out of our country lately.
Here's the thing, I vote in the Republican primary, but lately I've been feeling rather non-partisan. In the past eight years, both parties have shown a mind-boggling disunity and resorted to blatant fear mongering through the media. Apparently, our country is going to come crashing down around our ears no matter who is in office. Honestly, that may happen sooner or later, but it has less to do with politics and more to do with the values of every-day Americans.
Anyway, it seems that since Obama has been in office, the Republicans and their respective news media outlets are doing the exact same thing that the Democrats were doing to Bush.
"Neiner, neiner Democratic party, how do you like it?"
Grow up politicians/media people! These stupid playground politics are bogging us down. How about we focus on the real issues and not take our kids out of school because the President of the United States is giving a speech telling them that learning is important! Of all the stupid, ignorant crap to do, honestly.
Of course, now the Democrats are wounded. How could those Conservatives be so obtuse?! Well dang it, look back a year an a half and see what was being said about Bush. The President is the President, for goodness' sake. Show the man some respect, whether you voted for him or not!
Of course, outlets for us "normal people" like facebook (and blogs, ha ha) are just making things worse. I can't count the number of paranoid crap I saw on facebook today about Obama's speech. Calm down, everyone! Just because the President is in a different political party than you does not make everything he does wrong.
Personally, I think the government is supposed to be like behind the scenes machinery in a play, quiet, but with visible and spectacular effects. It's not a perfect analogy, though, because it's not like "we the people" are the audience, there for the show. I think we're supposed to be like the crew, a knowledgeable and active part of what goes on backstage. The rest of the world is the audience. They have their own plays to run.
Anyways, I'm not thinking straight lately. This may not have made sense, but I'm mad about all the stupid stuff that went on this week. Let the President tell kids to stay in school, because in some places, no one else is.
Melissa’s Story
6 years ago

6 comments:
I've thought about posting something like this, but alas I have not yet because I get too worked up every time I try. I voted for Obama and I think its so ridiculous that people are flipping out about him 24/7 on every internet outlet I read! You're right, he's the president, he's not going to make everyone happy and even if McCain would have won people would be complaining about something he did. I also get really ticked at people who I know don't vote and feel they have a right to complain! Maybe I'll write something about that!
Okay...beware that this comment contains a disagreement with your blog.
I think that people are not upset with the fact that Obama is addressing the students. That is is right and duty as President and I think it is great that he wants to encourage the youth of America to be better students. HOWEVER, the "teaching packet" that is supposed to be used by teacher afterwards is where I have my issue. It encourages the kids to think of ways they can support Obama...not the United States, not the school or our rights, but the person. That is not okay with me. That is very similar to an approach used in Germany about 80 years ago....that is what people are upset about, and I am included in that number. Yep...I'm gonna stop at that.
Ah, I had not heard about any teaching packet. I will research this.
Caitlyn I agree with you. I think that this chance for school children to see the President speak to them is a historical event that they will remember for the rest of their lives. I think that this is a great chance for them to learn to respect and support the President (whomever that happens to be). Years from now these children will remember that the President took time out of his busy schedule to tell them to continue with their education. I also think that this might be why so many people are upset about it. The fact is that most children (and let's be honest, future voters) learn their partisan affiliations from one of two places: their parents, and/or their schools. Children are more likely to grow up to have the same party affiliations as their parents because that is what they are taught to believe while growing up. (I won't deny that their socioeconomic backgrounds have a lot to do with it too). If parent's aren't involved in the political education of their children these children learn their political opinions in school from teachers who they respect and admire. Now, add into the mix a VERY important politician of a certain party speaking directly too these children and parents belonging to the other party are going to begin to feel threatened. "What is he telling little Billy/Susy at school where I can't be there to reinforce my ideals?" I understand the situation but I don't agree with it.
People, Obama is NOT, I repeat NOT, going to brainwash your child into being a Democrat in ONE 20 minute speech! If you really are concerned that your children are going to hear a different opinion than your own, get off your lazy butt and get involved in their education! Get a copy of the speech and go over it with your child explaining to them why you disagree. Don't just tell them that Obama is a Liar and they shouldn't trust him. Making your children fear the President won't help ANYONE! If they learn to distrust one President, no mater what the party of future Presidents, they will always be distrusting of the office. What happened to wanting out children to grow up to be President?
As for the Teaching Packet that the teachers are invited to use after the address, I think this is more of a design to grow respect for the office and the man in the office than for the individual man holding it at the moment. Now I could be wrong about this teaching packet and it might dabble on the propaganda side of the line, but I think the concept of teaching our children respect for authority is not out of line.
Please people let's teach our children to respect those around them with other ideas and beliefs, not teach them to be fearful and to avoid having to listen to any disagreeable thing to their ears.
Wow. Sorry Caitlyn, this got long really fast.
It's ok, my blog is a hotspot for current political theory, ha ha.
Hurrah for Caitlyn--my sentiments exactly. We haven't the poor man to even function as a president. Let's give a break and let's see what happens. Who knows ==we may be very surprised.
Post a Comment