Oh, yes.
I found this absolutely scrumptious phrase while doing some refresher research on childbirth; a jewel embedded in the article on Apgar scores on Wikipedia. Being a linguist and a weirdo, I felt the need to investigate. Luckily, both words were linked.
An eponymous backronym is, basically, a person's name that was made into an acronym (but it was a name first, and so it was backformed, thus, "back"ronym... how cute). In the case of Dr. Virginia Apgar, a mnemonic device to help doctors quickly assess the health of newborn babies (Appearance, Pulse, Grimace, Activity, and Respiration).
I'm inspired. If I can be remembered as an eponymous backronym, I would like it to be Hair: Hugely Awsome and Intelligent Riter. Maybe it could even be some kind of literary honor. I can see it now...
What would you want your backronym to stand for? Leave a comment and let me know!
Melissa’s Story
6 years ago

7 comments:
Buffington is too long for that. My eponymous backronym will be AS - Absolutely Spectacular. Pretty much sums up my life.
I should like to see anyone try to make McDonough into any such thing.
Marvelously Curious Damsel Of Niftiness Often Understated Grossly - Heartbreaking!
Maybe not as useful as Apgar, but I think it carries a deeper meaning. Ha ha.
Miller....hmm
Most Intelligent Lady Lover Ever Realized....hahahahahahha that literally took me 2 mins to think up and is totally dumb.
For some reason this makes me thin of Friends..."that's "p" as in "phoebe", "h" as in "hoebe", "o" as in "oebe", "e" as in "ebe", "b" as in "be", and "e" as in "'ello mate!".....
Oh, and here is the one I thought up for mine in 10 seconds or less:
"Wickedly Annoying Looking Kindergartner Eventually Retires" - lame, but funny.
Kan't Anyone Talk In English? Does that work?
Post a Comment