Alright, I know it's going to be a long, long, long time before Will and I are in a place where we can afford a dog, but I can't lie, one of my favorite things to do when I'm bored is research different dog breeds and try to decide which one I'm going to bring home when it's finally time.
But I have a problem. It's called
Dogs 101. It's a show on Animal Planet (that I happen to be watching right now) that makes my decision so much HARDER! Every time they showcase a new breed, I want it. Well, not always. I am not a small dog/lap dog/ugly dog/dog so large you can ride it person, so breeds like the
Xoloitzcuintli (Mexican hairless),
Italian Greyhound,
Pekingese, and
Mastiff don't tempt me in the least. In fact, for the longest time, I've been set on getting his/hers Siberian Huskies when we finally get a house with a yard. Then I started watching this show.
So many great dogs! Do you think Will would mind if we had a
Husky, a
Border Collie, a
Korthals Griffon, a
Brittany, an
Australian Shepherd, an
Alaskan Malamute, and an
English Springer Spaniel?
I don't think so, either.
Well, at least I have a "type," if you consider medium/medium large, family-oriented, sporting/hunting/herding dogs to be a single type. But sometimes I also find myself sighing over larger breeds (
Bernese Mountain Dog... sigh) and even some smaller ones (like the
Basenji... who wouldn't be fascinated by a non-barking dog?).
Anyway, I guess it's a good thing I've got a while to decide. And of course, undecided things like climate, yard size, and the age of our children will heavily influence my choice.
What kind of dogs do you dream of owning? Or have you already had one? Or are you not a dog person at all?
NOTE: If you're thinking about starting some dog research, I'd definitely recommend seeing if the Dogs 101
site has a video on the breed you're considering. Not only do they give a brief history of the breed and a general description, they also go into detail about ideal environment (house vs apartment vs farm), exercise requirements, ideal family type (basically: are they good with small children?), grooming requirements, and overall health of the breed.
3 comments:
That show is always dead on about dogs and their personalities! I love Bessie (Basset Hound obviously) but someday I'd like another golden retriever - also love labs, blue heelers, old english bulldogs and some others but no matter the dog they have their share of issues.
Like Bessie is really smart and troublesome - she gets into the trash and digs in the yard and makes a mess but she is great with kids and friendly with strangers!
haha i can tell you what nick wants as of now. it's called a chiweenie. yes. that's its real name sadly. i vetoed that though because it's part dachsund. i want an akita though. i like them.
Poodles. I'm going to have poodles. Medium/medium large. 2nd smartest breed. Small or large living space. Family. Poodles all the way.
Post a Comment