Well, I don't have anything better to do, so I figured I'd post about my appointment today.
It went pretty well. I'm 3 cm dialated, 60% effaced, and the baby is at -2 (You have to get to 10 cm dialated at 100% effaced to push the baby out, so it's far-ish considering I haven't been in active labor). It kind of makes me nervous, though, that when real labor starts the baby will pop right out and I'll barely make it to the hospital in time.
I finally asked my doctor how long he'd let me go before being induced, and he said that he'd do it at 39 weeks if I wanted (according to me, I reached that point yesterday, according to them it's not until Friday, because I'm going by my 10 week ultrasound measurements and they're going by my estimated due date, which is April 23).
I was kind of surprised, because my doctor in UT made it sound like elective induction wasn't even an option unless I was a week overdue or more. This doctor spent several minutes making it clear that induction carries a much higher risk of a C-section (up to 50% if you're cervix isn't "favorable"), but that was before he checked me and found out I am extremely "favorable," at which point he was basically like, "Yeah, we'll schedule a date at your next appointment."
Nice.
But I'm not sure how I feel about elective induction before it's medically necessary, you know? If she's still in there it's probably for a reason. Of course, with the way I'm still cramping/contracting irregularly, I feel like one tiny shot of pitocin would send me right over the edge and into active labor.
He also said, though it's never for sure, that from the way my cervix looks he expects me to go in to labor "spontaneously" anytime in the next two weeks. So cross your fingers for this week, because that's what I'd prefer, and I don't think I have the willpower to wait. If I do need to be induced, depending on Will's final's schedule, I'll probably go for it anytime after my doctor's appointment on April 20th (one week from today).
Woo hoo!
Melissa’s Story
6 years ago

2 comments:
WOOHOOO! almost time!
Just hang in there, I wanted an induction and my mom kept telling me to try to wait. When she is ready she will come and your labor will be much easier and quicker if you wait.
Post a Comment