Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Rules

You know when you hear bad news?  News bad enough to give you that sinking, curling, sick feeling in the pit of your stomach?

You do what you can to help, but it's not much.  And then you're just sitting around, waiting for news.  So there's the internet, all nice and distracting, and there's something funny so you laugh.

And then you think, "I can't laugh, something awful just happened."  Then the feeling of being powerless again, because there isn't anything else you can do.  But how can you let yourself be distracted when people you care about are going through so much?  Like maybe they can somehow feel you supporting them if you just keep thinking about it.

How do you guys handle it when difficult or tragic things happen to people close to you?

3 comments:

elyse.carroll said...

Oh my! I am not sure how I would be able to deal with that. I hope you and the family that had the tragedy feel comfort. Our Savior feels the pain and just seek to feel peace and comfort. Love you.

Julie DeMille said...

A couple years ago, my friend's daughter died suddenly. She was 22 and had a little baby girl. The day she died, I held it in all day, trying to act normal, then, when everyone went to bed, I got out my computer and wrote and sobbed. The writing really helped.
Also, I tried to think how I would feel if the roles were reversed. I knew that I would want my friends to go on and not worry over my sorrows.
Empathy is good, but you can't let it overwhelm you.

Maya said...

i talk it out. i pray. i cry. i try to distract myself. i talk it out some more. and on the unhelpful front, i eat. but it's ok to laugh and distract yourself. it really is.

i am sorry you are dealing with this now. ((hugs)) i'm here if you want to talk at all.