Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Purpose

I think I must experience religion differently than most people.

I watched "Glee" tonight, like pretty much everyone else in the country.  I've debated in the past if I wanted to continue watching it or not.  I'm still not sure.  It's funny, and I love that it's a musical show, but it's getting much too political for me.  Why can't it just be for fun instead of pushing whatever agenda is trendy these days?

However, I digress.  Like I said, I think I must experience religion differently than most people.  Comments made on "Glee" tonight and at other times on TV have me wondering: how do most people think religion works?

One thing I've heard nonreligious people (or those having a crisis of faith) ask is, "How could a loving God let such bad things happen in the world?" and cite bad things happening to good people as evidence against His existence. 

Let me tell you what I believe.  I believe that there is a God, but He's not there to make sure life is easy, or happy all the time, or fair.  That's not the purpose of our time here.  The purpose of our time is to be tested, to go through hard things, and grow

I believe we are His children, and He will give what we need, and not what we want.  Sometimes people say that unanswered prayers are their reason for losing faith.  My almost-three-year-old asks me nightly if she can have candy for dinner.  Every night she asks, she says please, and sometimes she throws a fit.  I know she wants it more than she wants anything else in the world in that moment.  However, I am not about to give her candy for dinner, because, as someone with more knowledge and experience, I know that if she eats candy for dinner, she'll feel sick later because she's eaten too much junk.  Not only that, but if I did let her eat candy instead of an actual, healthy meal each night, she would grow up with weight problems, which could lead to self-esteem problems.  Her body would become too weak to run, dance, and play the way she loves; not to mention dental issues.  I know all of this without even really thinking about it, and she doesn't have a clue.  All she knows is that she really, really wants candy, and I could give it to her if I wanted, but I don't.

This is how most people seem to me, like three-year-olds throwing a tantrum because they don't understand the reasons for the things that happen to them.  Yes, much of the time these things are tragic, horrible, or at the very least grossly unfair.  But could it be that Heavenly Father allows them to happen because He understands things that we don't have the capacity to comprehend?  That's what I believe.

And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.
1 Nephi 11:17

11 comments:

Heather Hansen said...

I really like this post-- especially the candy analogy.

Curious, though-- what happened in Glee tonight that was political? I've been watching the past few episodes but missed tonight's.. but I've been really enjoying the show. I think it's clever, different, and let's face it, Matthew Morrison is adorable.

Diane said...

Awesome post Caitlyn! Thank's for the fabulous analogy. I'll have to use it in seminary one of these days.

Jana said...

That really was a great post, very insightful and always wonderful to hear someone else's testimony to boost your own. I do love the candy analogy.

One thing to add that I've been thinking a lot about lately--God cannot intercede sometimes because doing so would take away someone else's agency. Like when Chaela is older and can just find the candy and eat it anyway. And even though their choices become our trials, He can't take away their ability to choose, but He CAN give us the strength to endure their consequences, esp when they impact us. Thanks again for a great post.

ohiolanges said...

Loved this! We are so blessed to have our knowledge and understanding of our Father in Heaven. I loved the way you described Him. And the was you described us. I have been the kid begging for candy. It pretty much leaves me mad and with a headache! Trusting God is much more peaceful and joyful. Thanks for the reminder!

ohiolanges said...

P.S. Didn't you just want to take Finn aside and tell him that he DOES have a direct line to God?! : )

Unknown said...

Heather- it wasn't so much political tonight... I guess what gets to me is that they keep taking hot topics like homosexuality, sex in high school, and religion (this past show's topic) and doing shows about them. Not that they're not topics to be talk about. I usually enjoy the show, but after the news and talk shows, I feel bombarded, you know what I mean?

Anne- for real!! I even said to my mom, "But he DOES! We all do!" Especially after being around a lot of teenagers with the OGT tutoring, I just wish I could tell them that they aren't alone and there IS someone to listen. But, unfortunately, I can't.

Everyone else- thank you! I just had some thoughts that needed out of my head.

Gemarie said...

I loved your insight on this as well I have a few friends myself that are not sure if God even exists and that for me is extremely hard because I know with every fiber my body he does exist me just baring my testimony doesn't get through to them...

Kristin said...

I completely agree with you, and that analogy is perfect. And I don't necessarily think it's a big deal that people are talking about these issues on TV, because it would be dumb to say they don't exist, but I really do not like how they resolve them most of the time, I feel like they push things too far one way or the other.

But like I said, I like what you said. I don't know how other people view God and religion, but I am very grateful for the way I believe, because it makes me happy.

Maya said...

I was just having this conversation (why would a God allow bad things to happen to people) with a friend last night. Although the answer seems simple to us, I realized it's because we have this whole foundation so that the answer fits in with that and makes sense. Without that background, this all just raises more questions. I ended up making a list of those last night as I was talking with my friend. I'm grateful for the foundation we get from the church. It doesn't make the trials any easier, but it makes getting through them more bearable.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Great post. I am so glad I went back and caught your comment and then was led to your blog.

Thank you for posting this it was good to hear...I am with you on Glee...I actually just gave it because I was super annoyed with it...I will just get the music cd's!

Alli said...

Amen, sister.