Every once in a while, something comes into my life that is so darn useful I must dedicate a blog to it, as I did with my Crock Pot (which I would link, but don't have time to find). This time, it's my breast pump, the Ameda Purely Yours.
Why is it so great? Well, there are two reasons that hold equal weight with me. Firstly, it gives me relief when Joci falls asleep after only nursing on one side, which she does almost every single time she eats. With Chaela, there was no choice but to be sore until she was ready to eat again. This time, I can pump the other side, leaving me much more comfortable.
Second, every once in a blue moon, I can sleep for more than 2-3 hours in a row. How, you ask? Because of my breast pump and my incredible husband, who gets up with Joci and feeds her some pumped milk so I can get some sleep (even though I can't go past six hours without waking up anyway due to fullness).
Just to be clear, I like breastfeeding, mostly, now that the pain is 95% gone, and that's what Joci gets most of the time. However, my breast pump lets me be free to sleep or get out of the house for a little while without freaking out about being home before she wakes up hungry. Also, it's easier on nipples than she is, so they get a break every once in a while if they desperately need it. I <3 it, and I thought you all should know.
Also, if you're looking for a pump, the model I have is highly recommended by nurses and such, at least the one I talked to in the hospital. It's comparable to the Medela Pump in Style, but has better reviews and is over $100 cheaper (also, you can sell the motor part once you're finished without worrying about hygiene, unlike other brands...check out the links for more info).
If you're in the market for a breast pump, I'd recommend checking out breastpumpsdirect.com. It's where I got mine. It lets you compare side-by-side, has all the major brands, and quite a few reviews for each model.


2 comments:
When you were in YW, did you ever think you would be so happy about an appliance?
Ha ha, no, I never would have guessed!
Post a Comment