Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tales from the land of new parenthood...

Chaela is a week old now as of 12:48 this afternoon. It's been great, I'm kind of dazed right now from lack of sleep...

Last night she was sound asleep at 10, so we decided to go to bed, since we're all pretty tired from the events of this past week (me, Will, and my mom, who's here helping out). The instant we put Chaela in her bed, she woke up and started fussing. She did not stop until 3:30 am, when I brought her into the living room with me so Will could get about an hour and a half of sleep. Then she and I fell asleep on our "couch" which is actually a love seat. Yes, very restful. When Will left for work at 5:30 I took her to bed and fell asleep for 2 hours... until Chaela woke up and needed to be fed. Thank goodness for my mom! A little after 8 she came into my room to see if we were awake and took the baby. Then I slept until 11:30-ish. I guess that comes out to 5 and 1/2 hours with the feeding. If the math is wrong I don't care, I'm so tired! Will came home and is sleeping right now. Smart man.

Tuesday morning was pretty traumatic for Chaela, too, haha. She woke up at about 4:15 and while I was feeding her she went poo and it leaked all over 2 blankets and my boppy pillow (not her clothes, she wasn't wearing any because of the light bed thing). I got up to go wash the blankets and everything (by hand because our washing machine is broken) and Will went to change her. While he was changing her, she peed all over herself and her changing thingy. So at about 4:50 am we had to give her a bath. Fun! Poor baby! She was so cold, but we couldn't do anything about it until after washing her because she was covered in pee. Don't worry, she's ok now, but she did pee all over the floor again today when I went to change her. She has also already peed on Will, which I think is hilarious. I'm pretty sure he picked her up without a diaper on. Haha.

Well I'm really out of it... as of last night she's not on the lights anymore. We take her in for one last blood test tomorrow to make sure her jaundice isn't coming back now that she's off of them. Pray for us!

I just realized all I've had to eat today is cake and hot chocolate and it's 5:15pm. I think I'll go find some food, then maybe I'll pass out. Have a nice day!

4 comments:

Jason said...

Ahh. The joys of being new parents, especially the first month or so. It gets easier I promise! Even though you don't get much sleep and you worry about every little thing, it's such an exciting little adventure--it's so rewarding. But of course you know that. Enjoy!

Jana said...

Oh, the memories. I feel for you guys! Like Jason said, it WILL get better. I'm so sad your washing machine is broken and that she pooed all over everything--not a fun thing to do in the middle of the night. I say you should have Thanksgiving giving at Cracker Barrel instead of at your house, much easier.

Daniel Moroni Hair said...

Man guys that is kind of a bummer! O well! HAHA! JK

Alli said...

You look like such a natural! I love you! You just look so beautiful holding that cute Chaela of yours. She truly is beautiful. Just like you!